What is the PADI Instructor Development Course and Exam?
The PADI Instructor Development Course is a life-changing program that recaps your knowledge development from the Divemaster program and compliments this with exceptional instructional skills and techniques.
This course will broaden not only your capabilities as a professional diver, but will open endless opportunities for employment and business in your full or part-time diving career all over the world!
There is a mix of classroom, pool, and ocean instruction, demonstrations, and scenarios. Recently the classroom portion of the program has been significantly reduced through independent learning conducted via the IDC E-Learning program, which you can start at any time. The fee for this section is $320USD paid by credit card directly to PADI.
The IDC is usually planned about 2 weeks before the Instructor Exams, which are scheduled by PADI periodically in different cities and countries around the world. You can search for the Instructor Exam (IE) schedules on the PADI website.
The IDC at Northern Coast Diving will provide you with the knowledge, skills, and experience to confidently attempt the IE, which is independently evaluated by PADI staff.
What are the requirements to participate?
- 18 years of age before starting the IDC
- PADI Divemaster before starting the IDC
- Current Medical Statement stating fitness to dive (under 1 year old)
- Certified diver for at least 6 months with at least 80 logged dives
- Emergency First Responder training within the past 24 months
What do I need?
- Photocopy of all of your non-PADI scuba diving certification cards to date
- Medical Certificate (if you are a PADI Divemaster for less than one year, Medical Statement is not necessary)
- Mask, fins, snorkel, regulator with alternate air source, depth gauge, pressure gauge and BCD
- Appropriate exposure suit, knife or dive tool, compass and surface markers (visible and audible), dive computer and timing device